Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cole Miller fighting Saturday night


I had a chance to speak with Macon's Cole Miller on Thursday night about his upcoming fight in UFC 86 with Jorge Gurgel. It sounds like it's going to be a great one. Miller comes into the fight after a disappointing loss back in January, and Gurgel comes in as the more experienced fighter.

Check out The Telegraph and macon.com Saturday and Sunday for a preview of Miller's fight and a post-fight conversation with him from Las Vegas.

Here's a little of what Miller had to say Thursday night:

"I know his style. I know his game in the past. Because he looks the same in all of his past five fights, I think he's going to try to bring some different things to the table. So I really wasn't trying to train for the footage that I saw (of him), I'm just trying to perfect my skills, you know?; moving onward and just make myself a better fighter. I don't train for my opponents; they train for me. I don't care what he says he's going to do. I don't care what he says he changed in his training. I don't care if he went and did a camp instead of having to run his (fighting) school. I had to do the same thing in my last fight. I had to teach more classes, and for this fight, I took more time for myself. We're all in the same boat, and I think this is a very evenly matched fight."

Some harsh words there. And can you believe these two have been close friends for about three years now?

For those interested in watching Miller's fight, you'll be disappointed to know that it won't air live during UFC 86. The Miller-Gurgel fight is part of the undercard -- matches that aren't shown live on TV. If the live event becomes shorter than expected, UFC may show the Miller-Gurgel fight to fill space. UFC 86 can be ordered through your pay-per-view options on Cox Communications or your satellite provider.
http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif
Of note: Miller recently had a film crew follow him around for a few days to detail what he did to get ready for Saturday's fight. Miller told me that footage is still being edited, but it will be available on his Web site after the fight. Check it out at here.

Photo: UFC

No comments: