Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Final Word

We're less than 24 hours away from the Atlanta Falcons' fourth game of the season, so it's time to start making some predictions. First, let me say I think the Falcons can win this one. I think Houston is depleted offensively with injuries and it's going to be tough for the Texans to really get things going with so many pieces on the sidelines or slowed by bumps and bruises. Atlanta has a great opportunity to take advantage of those things and pull out its first win of the season, which would drastically change the outlook of the team itself.

Make no mistake, Houston is still a very good football team and it is likely heading to the postseason this year, but the Falcons just have the luck of facing the Texans a week after they got beaten up by the Colts. Now, that doesn't automatically mean a win is in the cards. It just means that the Falcons have a slight edge in the depth category and that could help them get the W if they do the things they need to do, like stop with the stupid and late penalties, finish the game and play with poise.

I see the Falcons leading this game and I see them staying close throughout. But it's hard to say the Falcons can find a way to win when they haven't yet, despite several prime opportunities. Earlier in the week during my Falcons podcast I said I expected the Texans to take a 10-point win away from the Georgia Dome. I'll revise the statement and say the Texans win by three, 24-21, on a late field goal.

Check back on Sunday shortly after the game as I will be posting quotes from postgame news conferences and interviews, as well as some analysis on what happened. And check out The Macon Telegraph or macon.com on Monday for expanded coverage of the game, including my grades for the Falcons and a look at former Falcons quarterback Matt Schaub.

No comments: